Wednesday 9 April 2008

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

I'm not a big reader - infact if its not for my book club, I struggle to commit, but I've just read a fantastic book - Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. Its one of those books that teaches you more than you could imagine.

I think I was vaguely aware of footbinding in China, but I've certainly never considered what's involved. I've read this book as part of my book club - we're such a varied group of people, its hard to please everyone, but I think this book will have done it.




As I've spoken to people who have finished it, they've all wanted to find out more about these women. For me, I had a gruesome desire to see what foot binding looks like! Click the link to see more pictures.
My mum wanted to know more about Nu Shu, the secret language that Chinese women used to communicate with. She even learned how to write Nu Shu in Nu Shu - how about that for being inspired by a book! She sent me evidence of her learning:

Mum - I love that you pointed out that I should read it from right to left! That made it much clearer! You're a stickler for accuracy!

Fantastic book - highly recommended.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you see the adf after the footbinding photos - it was for shoes for broqad feet!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the typos! Grandma has just got The Island she had ordered from the library - I await her comments. I'm going to bring her over so that she can read your blog,she's very excited. I've still got my instructions so wait for her comments!