Sunday 13 April 2008

Bradwell? Have you seen the weather?

I really didn't fancy it! When we got home from church, Liam said Lorraine and Phil had gone to Bradwell beach with the kids - did I fancy it? I certainly didn't! It was pouring with rain and anyway I had arranged to go for a walk in the woods near us with the Faggs (Paul got released as Bishop today so is a free man!). That sounded much more sensible - somewhere local so if it pours, you can nip home for a hot chocolate. When I hadn't heard from Becks by 3, I rang and she didn't sound too keen on dragging everyone out in the dodgy weather. So when Lorraine rang, all excited about their beach, we got our wellies on and headed for Bradwell (see the Essex map below).
I've been to Bradwell once before about 12 years ago, and as far as I'm concerned, there's only one thing Bradwell is famous - the nuclear power station which is right on the estuary! It really didn't sound appealing for a trip to play on the beach with the kids, but I do like Sunday afternoon outings and Lorraine was so excited about it! (It turns out the power station closed 4 years ago but it still dominates the landscape).

On the phone, Lorraine with her love of history, was excited about the church on the beach - St Peters. From a distance, it just looked like a big house, but when we got closer, you could see it was really old building (built in 654AD).

With some ace directions, we found Lorraine and Phil and their tent and bbq! I didn't realise they had gone so organised. We hadn't taken anything!
I'm really not sure about the tidal estuaries around here - I can't decide whether I love them or hate them but there's something very enticing about a scene like this. I MUST get some wellies 'cause I really fancied walking out a bit, but it was much too wet and soggy, even in my old trainers.
Vicky, Leanne and Rachel were most thrilled by these clay banks! Leanne was busy making a pot to cook on the bbq when we arrived. Beaches get you mucky enough at the best of times, but a clay-covered beach is ridiculous!
Lorraine and Phil were feeling particularly frisky today - must be the sea air!
ALL 6 kids had been quite happy playing in the clay and sand, and collecting shells, but you just can't take Liam to the beach and expect him to stay out of the sea. I don't think that has ever happened! I can remember visiting my Grandma and Grandad on the Isle of Wight in February one year, and he still couldn't resist a quick swim! Today was no exception...but when one starts, the rest follow! Well, some of the rest follow - I didn't even undo my coat the whole time we were there!
But even paddling isn't enough for Liam...and Phil it turns out...and Megan!











Wow! Look at them run, baywatch style!























As we didn't bring any towels with us (Lorraine had a hand towel but that doesn't go very far when they all jump in the sea!) there was only one way to get dry - running around!

The walk back to the car was pretty grim! Sand and clay stuck to every wet part of all the paddlers bodies! But we did all have a great time - I just wasn't prepared for a sitting-on-a-beach day! Now the weather's getting milder and we're living in the sunny south, I must have an emergency beach bag to hand!

0 comments: