Monday 21 April 2008

Panic, panic, PANIC!

I know about food storage, I know about storing wheat and water, I know it all, but I haven't actually done anything about it!


And then in Januray, people at church told me wheat prices had gone up by 9 times. Grrrrr, why did I only buy 2 bags instead of 20 or 30 when they were only about £2.50. Does that mean they're gonna be £20/bag now?
Then the same people told me that there was a rice shortage. I don't always believe everything people tell me - scaremongering and all that, but then for the first time, the BBC was telling me the same thing. I've noticed my food bills are higher, but I thought I was being more extravagent (or careless) without realising!

So I've decided its about time I did something - how silly would I feel if I'd been told to get a good food store my whole life and then didn't and I really needed it. I already feel a bit silly (and annoyed with myself 'cause I love a bargain) about the wheat thing.
First things first, as The Sun said this week - Spaghetti Prices are Pasta Joke! Becks took Cynthia and I to Costco on a serious mission! And you wouldn't believe how much we bought! I say we, but I mean them! I'm quite impressed with my stash - 10kg bag of rice x 2, 500g bag of penne pasta x 12 and 500g bags of spaghetti (Liam's favourite dinner) x 16. Should keep us going for a while! I lost count of what my friends bought but I know they each bought 10 of the 10kg bags of rice! They spent over £500 between them! Don't worry Liam, my budget was much smaller (Liam and I converse through the blog now - no need for conversation over the dinner table any more!).
I'm happy with my stash, and Lorraine jumped right on the band wagon with me - she started surfing the net for evidence, of which she found plenty. She told me I need to stock up on vegetable oil too. That can be next month.

0 comments: