Wednesday 4 June 2008

Day two at the beach

The weather was a bit dodgey on Sunday, but it didn't put us off! We waited for Jaqui to join us (LOVELY to spend the day with her), then went to the New Forest Reptile Centre. We loved seeing the creatures - natterjack toads, sand lizards, snakes - it inspired me to join the kids up with the RSPB who had a stand there. I fell for their marketing! I've been thinking of doing this before, and have actually filled out the form recently, but never sent it. Call me impetuous, but I bit the bullet and signed up for the £2.09 / month. I know - get me!


Time for a picnic...
Helen: Hmmm, which chocolate should I have?

Jaqui:"Don't take my favorite...I'm watching!"
Sam's concentrating on his new RSPB literature - I'm hoping this is the start of him studying to be a vet!
Next it was time for the beach...even though the weather was a bit grim. Us land lubbers just can't get enough of the sea!It took MINUTES for the kids to have stripped off and get into their swimming costumes. There was an interesting moment of psychology - yesterday on the beach, Megan had me to hold a big towel round her so she could get changed with no one seeing her! Today, she stripped off and threw her clothes over her head. When I smirked and raised an eyebrow at her, she said "What? Helen just got changed at the car, and took her trousers off in the car park, so I needn't worry on the beach!" Interesting how our children can be so quickly influenced! Well done Helen for teaching her how to experience liberty! I just wish I had my camera handy in the car park - would have made our blog a lot more interesting!This is a great age for the beach. A few years ago it was a nightmare - having to watch the kids every moment and entertain them constantly - it really ruins beach relaxation! Today, they just needed the odd bit of encouragement and they were off playing independently. Although I have to say I think Helen enjoyed the boat she made with them a bit more than Leah did from the looks of these pictures!
Lucy also needed a little bit of entertaining - in fact even when she was laid down, exhausted, she rarely took her eye off her ball, just in case!
And after Helen trained them in the art of sand-boat-making, the kids spent half an hour building their own boat while the grown ups all relaxed and chatted. Perfect!


While some of us chatted to relax, others (Liam) were so successful in their relaxation that they started snoring! I have to say, this snoring was bothering me a little, but I let it slide because I knew he was tired after the early morning fishing trip. But it was obviously bothering Lucy too. She had been laid quietly next Helen, but got up, walked over to Liam, shook sand all over him then calmly walked back to Helen and laid down again! It worked - he stopped snoring and brushed himself down! She's such a clever woman!

Chatting stopped temporarily and was replaced with hilarity and admiration!

I think the Loch Ness monster has gone on holiday to Bournemouth! What unusual purple bumps it has!

0 comments: