Wednesday 17 September 2008

Green Fingers

We're all trying it, but some with more success than others! Today I went to see how the experts do it - Leah and I went to visit Laura and Jim's allotment. Megan was with Lucy, and Sam was with Benjamin (I love Meersbrook Mum's!) and when the weather cheered up, we marched up to the allotment.

We've got such a little space in our garden - we've tried growing herbs, tomatoes, potatoes and beans this years (ALL the beans died!) so I was amazed to see how much space Laura and Jim have and what they've done in the few months of having it.

I'm not sure which bit we liked best - there were several highlights for me and Leah: Laura picked some pea pods for us - it was lovely to snack on sweet, fresh peas.

Then there were the raspberrys - there's not photos of those - I was too busy concentrating on eating them!

And then the highlight of Leah's visit - pooing on a potty, outside with lovely Meersbrook views! Leah hasn't used a potty for a couple of years now, but with no toilet there, she had no choice and she LOVED it! We were only there for a few hours and she managed to fit in 2 poos and 2 wees and a couple of false alarms?! I think she's ready for camping!

When time was up at Laura's allotment, we set off on a real mission! Laura wanted to show me Helen's allotment but it seemed to have vanished! Eventually she realised why - the doorway was over grown and completely hidden. Luckily there was a handy allotment owner with a hedge trimmer who cleared it for us. Helen's apple trees were ladened and we did some proper scrumping! Helen had told Laura that she was welcome to help herself whenever she wanted, but it still seemed like proper scrumping! And very usefully, she also had some blackberry's growing too. Where's my nan when I need her - she was queen of apple and blackberry pie!Time was up and I rushed off to collect Sam from Ragi's house. He'd had a great time - we all miss our Meersbrook friends.

0 comments: