Monday 8 September 2008

Hmmm...what to bake?

Rachel and Vicky came for a sleep over and someone mentioned they'd like to do some baking. I can't remember who, but once one little person thought it was a good idea, one by one they all started jumping up and down with similar feelings.


I won't say my heart sank...but it did! I'm not a huge fan of baking with little ones - its trying to find jobs for everyone fairly - if one puts in a teaspoon of salt, you have a find an equally important (!) job for the other, all through the recipe, so the thought of trying to share jobs between 5 children was NOT appealing!


But how can I turn down my 2 lovely nieces?! My children I can easily turn down, but not my neices! So I decided to embrace the baking and give them a free reign - they formed 3 groups and each picked a recipe book! After much study and discussion, they picked 3 recipes and we went shopping for ingredients.


Vicky and Megan went first and cooked themselves delicious chocolate pancakes with chocolate sauce (girls after my own heart!) for pudding after tea. They were a BIG hit.
Although I'm not sure about their table manners... Then Leah and Rachel made their selection - Pistachio Cupcakes - get them! And they were delicious!

They've obviously got a sophisticated palate.

Sam's choice was a 2 tone jelly:

Strawberry on the bottom and lime on the top - Sam's took a bit more patience and weren't ready until the morning.

A good job done by all, although there was a whole lot of tidying up afterwards!

0 comments: