Friday 1 August 2008

Visiting Time

Our reason for this trip to Sheffield was to visit my Grandad in hospital. He's been at the Hallamshire for about 3 weeks now and its been rubbish being in Essex. I know grandad doesn't need much support - what he really needs at the moment is the nursing care he's getting, but I feel like I'm missing out on visiting him.


We went to see him on Saturday and Sunday and had two very different visits. On Saturday he was on good form. He asked if we'd brought him some cake, and could we lend him half a crown? These are his favorite questions! He tells Liam we're trouble makers - 1, 2, 3, pointing to me mum and Grandma and any other females in the room! And then I count 4 and point to him and he pretends to look wounded. He tells Leah she's his girlfriend (one of his many!).
This could have been any trip to visit Grandad over the last few years - as he's slowly lost his short term memory, he sometimes has the same conversation again and again, but I'm happy having these conversations. They're reassuring.

He tells us about his brothers and sisters: May was his twin sister - he screws up his nose when he talks about her - she used to blame him for everything! And I always tease him and say he probably caused all the trouble and he fakes a hurt look. Elsie was bossy he tells us and Dorothy was his favorite ( I think I've got that right - I should know by now!). Then he adds: "I'm the only one left now..."

On Saturday he told me "I've had a good life, I've seen the world, I've been to the moon...". When I told Delores he says that, she thought he was being figurative, but he's not! I love that he's so satisfied with his 92 year old life and travels, he includes the moon.

He was really animated and dramatic this time - exaggerated facial expressions and chatty. Although the nurse came and told us he had been refusing to eat. She brought a milkshake meal replacement and asked Grandma if she could feed it to him. He managed to drink quite a lot of it, but really needs to eat more.

Sunday's visit was quite different. He was asleep when we arrived, and didn't like being woken up (I can understand that!). It was hard to understand what he was saying and I don't think he knew who I was. Often he pretends to be offended and cheeky, but this time I don't think he was pretending. I certainly didn't want to push him. He couldn't keep his eyes open and I was happy when he went back to sleep.

I'm glad he's getting looked after and I'm glad my grandma isn't the one who has to look after him. It was nice to see him and hear his stories again.

0 comments: