Sunday 24 August 2008

My Ideas Can't All Be Winners

I blame Ms. Stafford ( I stole this photo from Facebook!)

She taught Megan at Meersbrook Bank School in Sheffield for year 2 and she was FABULOUS! By the end of the year Megan had decided she wanted to be a teacher like her and I wanted to look like her! But despite that, one of the topics she taught was the great fire of london and Megan loved everything she learned about.

Then we moved to Danbury and Sam also learned about the great fire of london, so I've been meaning to take them to see Pudding Lane now we live so close to London. So on Sunday I made some whooping noises and we all jumped into the car for a trip to tower hill via Nanny Pat's.
TomTom told us it would take 32 minutes to get from Nanny Pat's in Dagenham to Pudding Lane and I believed him.
Unfortunately I hadn't checked the news and so didn't know that it was the London Triathalon that day...so all the traffic from central London had been redirected to the east end. To make it worse, it POURED with rain so we couldn't even open the window during the almost 2 hours it took to get there.


You reach the point of no return and have to keep going forward. But this is what we did to keep entertained:I realise Megan will hate me for posting this one day, but I took hundreds of photos of them to keep them from climbing the walls! Megan and Sam thought it was hilarious to be cheeky to the camera!

When we evenually arrived, we did manage to find a parking spot on Pudding Lane - they both knew that the fire had started in the bakers shop, but Sam even remembered that his name was Thomas. We were impressed when we found this plaque to show us what clever-clog children we have. Obviously Liam and I had no idea!

We decided we needed to sightsee even though it was still raining on and off - we marched to London Bridge...and then up to St Pauls (stopping in door ways to hide from the heaviest rain!)...just enough to tick them off our to-do list!Photo in front of the Pudding Lane sign - tick

All the way there, Liam was muttering about how it had been MY great idea to nip into London - this was while the kids were moaning, the car was steaming, the rain was pouring, the traffic was heaving...but I blame Ms Stafford. And her pesky, interesting lessons from 2 years ago!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe Megan still remembers all that about the Great Fire from so long ago! I'm so jealous of your trip - what a family outing... if only I could cart all my y2s down there for a visit. Do you think Bishops House can compare?! Kate xxxxxx